Professional Tutor – Part-time (Bethesda, Mclean & DC)
Who We Are:
PrepMatters, Inc. is the premier source in the Washington metro area for one-on-one test preparation, academic tutoring, and educational planning. Our tutoring staff helps students and families navigate the whole alphabet of standardized tests, ranging from the SSAT/ISEE/HSPT for middle-schoolers to the SAT/ACT/AP for high schoolers to the GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT for college students. We take pride in our deep understanding not only of the tests but also of how to effectively communicate with and bring out the best in our students.
PrepMatters is looking for bright, dynamic people to join our paid tutor training class, leading to work as a professional SAT/ACT and academic tutor in our Bethesda, Tenleytown, or McLean offices. Weekly training sessions will be required of new hires. Part-time tutors start at $40-$70/hr commensurate with their experience. Our part-time employees enjoy paid sick leave, FSA plans and a SIMPLE IRA with a 3% employer match. All of our colleagues enjoy beautifully furnished offices with fully stocked kitchens. Our full-time operations team supports our tutors administratively so that our tutors can focus on the work that matters most: helping students!
To be eligible for consideration, all candidates must possess:
● A bachelor’s degree – complete and not in progress
● At least two years of test preparation experience covering all sections of the SAT or ACT
● Academic expertise (up to the AP level) in either sciences, calculus, history or a foreign language
● A true appreciation for working with kids
● Willingness to make at least 10 hrs/week available during busy seasons, including weekend time
● The ability to reliably and independently manage client scheduling and email correspondence
● The skills required to score well on a qualifying test consisting of SAT Reading, Math and Writing questions
The ideal candidate will have:
● A degree from a highly selective university. We won’t be impressed, but our clients might, which is a plus.
● Professional experience in a high-volume tutoring environment
● Flexibility to meet students across multiple PrepMatters offices (Bethesda, Tenleytown, McLean)
● A working knowledge of local public and independent schools
Qualified candidates should complete an application at www.prepmatters.com/tutor-application and/or send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
References should be available upon request. No calls, please.
Test Proctor – Washington DC
PrepMatters, Inc., is a premier source in the Washington metro area for one-on-one test preparation, tutoring and educational counseling. The Bethesda office is looking for a reliable and highly organized professional to join our team in a part-time capacity as weekend proctor. Hours are Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 5/6:00 p.m. The office is located at 5001 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814.
The primary responsibility of the weekend proctor is to support clients with excellent service. The weekend proctor has significant direct contact with students, who come for morning and afternoon practice tests. The proctor engages clients with professional poise, while demonstrating excellent communication skills and adept verbal expression when guiding them to their practice test room. Superior organizational skills and a strong aptitude for mastery of detail are essential. While proctoring, you will administer practice tests to groups of students, timing the stop and start for each section and collecting and scoring the tests at the end of the day. The weekend proctor responds to student test takers with information that is timely, accurate and complete. The ideal candidate will have a college degree, the ability to manage a fast-paced environment in a professional manner and an interest in working with educated and successful clients. PrepMatters wants every client to receive personal, excellent service — delivered with a bit of sparkle! The hourly rate is $17.
Our office will be re-opening in June. While the interview process and some portions of training will be done via Zoom, the position will be in person.
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please specify “Bethesda Weekend Proctor” in the subject line. Please include a paragraph in your cover letter describing why you would be a good addition to the PrepMatters team. Due to the high volume of emails that we receive, we regret that we are unable to respond personally to each application. All applicants selected for further consideration will be notified by phone. No phone calls, please. PrepMatters is an equal opportunity employer.
Educational Counselor – Full-time & Part-time (Bethesda, Mclean & DC)
Who We Are:
PrepMatters, Inc. is a premier source in the Washington metro area for one-on-one test preparation and educational planning. Our Educational Planning team shows students and families what it takes to successfully navigate high school, college admissions, and higher education. We stay ahead of admissions trends to guide our students through a personalized strategy plan, while providing a big-picture perspective and lifelong view to optimize outcomes. We’re looking for both part-time and full-time educational counselors to join our dynamic team.
Role of the Educational Counselor:
Meet individually with students and families to develop an educational plan especially through transition points (most typically the high school-college transition, but could include middle school, graduate school, transfer process, etc. depending on interest and skills of counselor)
Counseling Topics include but are not limited to the following:
● Understanding undergraduate education
● Creating a college list focused on finding a good fit
● Shaping academic and professional goals
● Understanding the financial aid and merit award processes
● High school course selection
● Extra-curricular and summer activity planning
● College essay development
● College application completion
● Navigating questions of application timing, academic accommodations requests, waitlist response, communication with college officials, athletic recruitment
● Standardized testing plan
● Resume development
● Interview preparation
Additional Professional Expectations:
● Participate in team collaboration meetings
● Work with organization on College Access initiatives
● Engage in professional development including college visits
● Participate in non-client facing professional activities of PrepMatters including informational webinars
● Obtain and maintain membership in professional organizations such as HECA, IECA, and NACAC
The ideal candidate will have:
● Demonstrated commitment to serving students, especially those historically underserved in college admissions
● Strong communication and organization skills
● Knowledge of college admissions landscape
● Collaborative team spirit with ability to work independently
● Experience in college admissions, preferred
● Undergraduate college degree
● IECA/HECA certification/membership
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. References should be available upon request. No calls, please.
Competitive Salary is commensurate with experience. Starting salary range of $60k-90k. Annual Bonus. Our full-time employees have a comprehensive benefits package, which includes but is not limited to: medical/dental/vision insurance, company paid life insurance, company paid short-term disability, FSA and HRA plans, generous PTO and paid sick leave, an IRA retirement plan with 3% match, and an Employee Assistance program.